the self portrait





Here is Jackie. But here is also the Jackie that you see, the Jackie that I see, and the Jackie that I want you to see.
_____

I put together this self-portrait for my Queer Arts class. The prompt was simple, "create a self portrait with a story that you want to convey." Self-portraits are interesting. I begin to question myself: "who am I?" "what do I want people to know about me?" I then find myself in such a vulnerable place and wanting to share so much, yet still feeling like I have to filter how I'm feeling.

There is the entire me, the way I perceive myself, and the idea of me. I find these entities competing against themselves at times most when I'm trying to find balance. It's a constant internal challenge for me, but through this project I wanted to showcase this feeling with the change in movement and emotions. These shots are candid and paused screenshots of a full length video of me putting on makeup and taking off makeup. The candidness of these photographs illustrate the unedited/raw version of me. As I'm doing all these actions, I'm looking at a mirror reflecting the way I perceive myself. Then finally, actions of me putting on makeup and creating an edited version of me, demonstrate the idea of me that I intentionally create - whether that is received the way I want them to be or not. 
_____

hmm, I want to elaborate more about this idea - but I'll come back to this. I'll come back to it after y'all have interpreted or misinterpreted my project lol. 

 

Meet The Author

Jackie G. 22. UCLA. Sociology. Koalas. Probably blogging about my feels, music, movies, fashion, art, and everything else in between.