the post grad part I

Inflammatory Essays by Jenny Holzer at The Broad

phone interviewer: "Where do you see yourself in 5 years?"

me: "... It's really hard for me to see where I am in 5 years. I think 5 years ago, I wouldn't have imagined myself where I am right now.. I think, wherever life takes me, I hope I'm surrounded by what I love and I hope that whatever I'm doing, it's because I'm passionate about it... I just wanna make sure I'm happy." 

____

After this phone interview, I realized that I probably should't have answered half of the questions how I did, but it also upset me because this was me just being completely honest with myself. So if I don't get a call back from them, I'm completely okay with that because it was honestly a reality check. 

These past couple of months have been pretty rough. I've been at a fork in the road of where to go and what to do next, but finally I feel like I've been gaining a sense of clarity. After reflecting on where I am / who I want to be and talking it over with my support systems, I feel more comfortable with the choices that I will be making in the weeks to come. I know some people may or may not support these decisions, but that's okay with me. If this ends up not working out, I'll be okay with making those mistakes and learning from them. I'm young and this is my time to make those drastic changes, explore new things, and do what I want. (except until I turn 25 because that's when I should have a job with insurance - via advice from my sister) And no, that doesn't mean I'm just gonna free ball my life. I'm still going by my best judgement and with my goals in mind. Sooooo.. join me on this journey or not, I'll still be doing me. Stay tuned! 

Here are things I want to remind myself of:
  • surround yourself with people who want you to grow as an individual
  • be confident about your work and what you want to do; if you believe it others will too
  • even if it means working a shitty part time while exploring your passions, do it
  • you're young, travel now
  • use your network 
  • it's okay to be lost, at least you're trying to figure it out
  • once you're 26, you won't have mom's insurance .. so have a good job by then at least 
  • remember your worth and your passions 
  • don't follow people, follow your dreams 

 

Meet The Author

Jackie G. 22. UCLA. Sociology. Koalas. Probably blogging about my feels, music, movies, fashion, art, and everything else in between.