the free museum day w mentor


Another day, another museum. I hope y'all aren't tired of all my museum posts just yet. If so, I won't even apologize because going to museums is one of the few things that are getting me through this hectic quarter. 

Last Saturday was Free Museum Day in Southern California! Two of my favorite words: free and museum- so ya know your girl was there, along with my mentor. Our first stop, LACMA!


We didn't spend too long at LACMA because free museum day = hella hella people. Thankfully we kinda beat the huge crowd by getting there right when it opened. The first exhibition we saw was probably my favorite exhibit I've seen in a while, The Sympathetic Imagination by Diana Thater. The different lights, colors, and projections definitely took me into a new realm of reality vs. imagination.








Here are some other pictures from throughout the museum.





After LACMA, hunger caught up to us and we ate pupusas from across the street at the food trucks. I never had pupusas before but they were pretty good! Except, too much cheese kinda makes me gassy and .. there was a lot of cheese.

Then down the street we headed to Craft & Folk Art Museum (CFAM). 5 minutes in, and I loved it already. They held a special event for the Free Museum Day where in addition to the museum, there was music playing outside, people sculpting and creating things from clay and art vendors-  super interactive and nothing but good vibes. We ended up spending almost an hour outside of the actual museum!

Inside the museum was the exhibit "Made in China" by Keiko Fukazawa. I wish I was able to get more pictures of the pieces because they were absolutely amazing. It was exciting to see the cultural and historical influences that went into these works of art, along with intertwining use of recycled and luxurious materials.

If you're in the area or after you visit LACMA, I recommend a visit!








After our successful Free Museum Day, we went on a quick thrift store run, ate ice-cream at Sweet Rose, and then we ended up at this cute flower shop called Rolling Greens... WHERE WE SAW SOPHIA BUSH AND MADE INTENSE EYE CONTACT! But then we were too shy to ask for a picture so we just creepily just watched her from afar.



Overall, it was another great museum day and I'm glad I was able to spend it with my mentor. I feel so very fortunate to have a mentor/best friend that loves the same things as me. However, I could never be as cool as her because here is also the video that she made of capturing our day:




 

Meet The Author

Jackie G. 22. UCLA. Sociology. Koalas. Probably blogging about my feels, music, movies, fashion, art, and everything else in between.